New Resident: How to Apply
Follow the steps below to help you choose the housing option that is best for you.
Step 1: Accept your offer of admissions.
- If you're a newly admitted student, accept your offer of admission to the University of Illinois, and then wait 48 hours before completing your housing contract.
Step 2: Create your NetID and password.
- Your UIN is on the official notices of admission sent to you by the university.
- If you're under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian must agree to the contract terms. The online contract will prompt you to send your family or guardian an email to collect their consent.
Step 3: Do your research.
- Check out our incoming student page, created to show you all of our resources in one place.
- Use our compare options tool to help after you’ve made your list of preferences.
- Learn more about our 10 living-learning communities or six special living options.
- View the locations map to see where you’d be on campus.
- Visit our residence hall pages and rank-order a list of your preferences (i.e. room type, accessible rooms, bathrooms, hall amenities).
- Explore meal plan options. You will pick your meal plan when you select your room.
- Review the rates.
- ADA Housing Accommodations are available if needed.
Step 4: Apply to Live the Illini Life!
- Apply by the May 15 priority deadline in order to select your room, roommate and meal plan during the room selection process. If you miss the priority deadline, a member of our staff will choose it for you.
- You may start searching for a roommate anonymously through the roommate matching feature that is just after the roommate matching profile. If you would like to search for a roommate, the best time to search is late March through April. More applicants will be in the system at that time.
- If you have a preferred roommate, get the individual's full name and UIN to enter on your application. Roommate requests must be mutual and both roommates must complete the contract by the May 15 priority deadline.
- If you are interested in a living-learning community (LLC) or special living option (SLO), it is important that you indicate this on your contract. If you are interested in living in an LLC, you must complete and submit the LLC essay by May 15. If you are approved for an LLC or SLO, you will receive early entry to choose your space in that particular community.
- Have a valid Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or JCB credit or debit card ready at hand for the $100 non-refundable application fee. If you received a fee waiver at the campus-level, you will not be prompted to pay the application fee.