How to Apply
Room Selection for Fall 2018
Among the many great reasons to choose the University of Illinois is the opportunity to choose your own room, even as a new student. With our individualized process, you will be able to select a specific hall and room directly in the online housing contract.
Got questions? We've got answers!
Watch these short videos that walk through each step of the online contract!
- Starting Your Online Housing Contract (2:53 minutes)
- Completing Lifestyle Preferences (4:17 minutes)
- Selecting Location Preferences (2:13 minutes)
- Paying & Submitting Your Contract (2:09 minutes)
- While You Are Waiting (1:07 minutes)
- Self-Selection - Choosing Your Room and Finalizing Contract (3:45 minutes)
Residence Hall Room Selection is a Two-Step Process
- Complete a University Housing contract online by 11:59 p.m. CST on May 15. (make sure you have your Enterprise ID ready before applying). If you complete your contract by this priority deadline, in late May you will be assigned an entry time to choose your room.
- When your entry time arrives, log back in to your contract and choose a space from available rooms across campus. You will also choose a meal plan at this stage. You can return to the online system and make changes from the beginning of your entry time until the process closes in June.
Living-Learning Community Selection
If you have preferenced a Living-Learning Community, completed the necessary steps, and have an approved essay, you will be assigned an early entry time in late May to select your space.
You will be able to tell us your roommate preferences during either step one or step two of the process, but if you know in advance we recommend indicating your preference in the first part of the process. You may also search for a compatible roommate within the system.
You will receive a notice in late June that confirms your room selection and provides the name of your roommate.
After May 15
Even if you miss the May 15 priority deadline, we will still have a space for you. University Housing will select a room and roommate for you based on the preferences you provide in the online system.
If you have received information that you have not yet been assigned a room, or will be residing in Temporary Housing, don't worry. We will have a space for you! New, incoming freshmen receive first priority and are guaranteed space in the University Residence Halls. Read more details about temporary housing.
If you wish to cancel your University Residence Hall contract based upon one of the reasons listed in section 11 of the Contract, please complete the online contract cancellation form and send supporting documentation to the Housing Information Office (e.g., letter from your department verifying graduation, study abroad, or co-op). You will forfeit your $150 advance payment if you cancel after May 15 for new fall semester contracts). If you are not canceling your contract for one of the reasons approved in section 11 of the Contract, you are subject to a settlement charge of up to 75% of your room and board rate.