Your Room/Suite


Residents may use a reasonable number of UL-approved electronic devices in their room/suite so long as they do not present a fire hazard or consume an excess of power. Devices with an exposed heating element are considered a fire hazard. The following appliances are permitted in the residence halls:

  • Alarm clock
  • Blender
  • Computer
  • Curling iron, electric razor, and hairdryer
  • Non-halogen desk, floor or bedside lamps (consider purchasing compact fluorescent or LED bulbs)
  • Electric blanket
  • Electric coffee maker/tea maker
  • Fan
  • Microwave (up to 800 watts)—one per room
  • Popcorn popper
  • Refrigerator (no more than 4.4 cubic feet and Energy Star certified)—one per room
  • Video game consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, Wii, etc.)
  • Stereo
  • TV/DVD player/VCR
  • Telephone/answering machine

See the move-in checklist for more on what to bring/what not to bring to the halls.


Cooking meals is only permitted in designated hall or area kitchens. Hall kitchenettes are not intended for regular meal preparation because they cannot accommodate the number of residents in each hall.

Use of microwave ovens, popcorn poppers, or other approved electrical appliances is permitted in resident rooms/suites for preparation of snacks. One micro-fridge unit is provided in all Sherman Hall and Daniels Hall rooms. You may not prepare meals in your room/suite, as it is a violation of state health codes. If you do, you may be charged up to $50 per occurrence or lose your housing contract. Toasters, toaster-ovens, and "George Foreman"-type grills are not permitted in resident rooms at any time.

Extension Cords and Power Strips

Extension cords are to be used with small electrical appliances only, such as an alarm clock, lamp, or popcorn popper, and should be sized for the electrical load being served. Only one appliance should be plugged in at a time. However, power strips with surge suppressants are strongly encouraged for all electrical needs, especially large appliances such as refrigerators, computers, and stereos. Make sure your power strip includes a self-contained fuse, which reduces the risk of a tripped circuit breaker on the floor.


Furniture provided in rooms needs to remain in the assigned room. You are responsible for all the furniture in your room\suite, and will be held accountable for any damages incurred. Extra furniture may not be removed by residents from double rooms rented as singles or triples rented as doubles.


Most halls have bunkable bed units. If residents want beds bunked, debunked, or bi-leveled, they must submit a maintenance request. Both roommates should submit the request in order for it to be honored. To prevent accidents and damage to the furniture, Building Service Workers must perform this task for residents. Unauthorized bed changes will result in a $30 charge per room plus a charge for any damages that may result. Bed rails are available for those residents sleeping in the upper bed of bunk beds, and bed extenders are available for residents who require a longer sleeping surface. You can also make a maintenance request if you would like to check out a bed rail or bed extender for the year.


Construction such as panels, dividers, lofts, shelves, and bunks is not permitted. Residents may not place boards or weights on radiator covers or wall-mounted bookshelves, and may not place beds on top of other furniture. Hot tubs are not permitted.

Halogen Lamps

Due to the high risk of fire, halogen lamps are not permitted in the residence halls.


Due to the high risk of fire, hoverboards (battery-operated self-balancing scooters) are not permitted anywhere in University Housing facilities.


The residence halls are smoke-free environments; therefore, incense is not permitted in the halls.

Musical Instruments

Musical instruments, especially amplified musical instruments or particularly loud instruments (e.g., brass instruments or drums), may be played only in designated practice areas. Check with your hall/area office for specific locations and access.

Personal Property Protection

If you have not already done so, check the provisions of any family homeowner or personal property insurance you may have for coverage of your personal property in the residence halls. University insurance does not cover students' personal possessions.

We recommend engraving all valuables with your state abbreviation and driver's license number for identification purposes. Doing so can assist police in tracing stolen items nationwide. If you decide to bring expensive equipment to campus, make sure to inventory and record serial numbers for your records.

Personalizing Your Room/Suite

Adding your personal touches to your room/suite will help to make it your own. We encourage you to display decorations, posters, or pictures as long as they do not deface or damage the surface or structure of the room/suite. Please do not use tacks or nails in the walls, bookcases, doors, desks, or beds, but rather use poster putty or poster tape provided at the beginning of the year. If you need additional putty/tape, see your Resident Advisor. Keep in mind that curtain rods or blind rods will not support the weight of plants. You may use additional furniture of your own in your room/suite as long as your roommate(s)/suitemate(s) agree to this arrangement. Due to limited storage space, no University furniture may be removed from resident rooms/suites. Carpet tape is difficult to remove and destroys the tiles. Please do not use this on your room/suite carpet.

Room/Suite Alterations

Each room will be inspected before, during, and/or after resident occupancy, and residents will be charged for any damages. The maintenance staff schedules repair work and determines the actual repair or replacement costs. Only maintenance staff members can paint or repair University property. Normal wear and tear will be considered in assessing costs for materials and labor.

Room/Suite Entry

Housing staff members may enter your room/suite to perform routine building service work, maintenance functions, or life-safety inspections. Notices of scheduled maintenance will be posted in advance on floor bulletin boards, on room/suite doors, or in resident mailboxes. Maintenance and Building Service Workers will lock your room when they leave, even if the room/suite was unlocked when they entered.

A University Housing staff member may enter resident rooms if danger to life, safety, health, or property is suspected. Furthermore, staff may open your room/suite to law enforcement officers who are in pursuit of a fleeing suspect or who present an applicable warrant. No other third parties (including parents, siblings, romantic partners, etc.) will be allowed access to your room/suite by a staff member.

Additionally, entry into your room/suite may be authorized if a community disturbance is originating from a room, such as a loud alarm clock or stereo, and you are not present to address the problem. You will be notified if a staff member enters your room/suite under these circumstances.

If any unattended burning odors (including, but not limited to, food, cigarettes, or other tobacco-like substances) can be detected from the hallway, staff members may enter your room/suite to ensure that a life safety situation does not exist. 

Room/Suite Inspections

During announced periods and during vacations, staff members may inspect your room/suite to assess possible fire and life-safety hazards. Damages in your room will also be noted during these inspections. Staff do not open drawers or search through personal belongings. They will report apparent violations of regulations or statutes to the appropriate office. Both you and your roommate(s)/suitemate(s) will be billed for damages, missing furniture, or irregularities encountered in the room/suite if the staff cannot determine who is responsible.

Life-safety room/suite inspections are conducted early in the fall semester and again as needed by the resident advisor or Housing Facilities staff. Staff will assess the hazards or life-safety concerns associated with the following items:

  • Extension cords: damaged, overloaded, routed under carpet, not UL-approved, etc.
  • Overloaded electrical outlets: UL approved power strips with circuit breakers should be used
  • Refrigerators: greater than 4.4 cubic feet and not Energy Star certified, only one per room permitted, must be plugged directly into wall outlet (not using extension cord or power strip)
  • Hazardous cooking and household appliances: microwaves are the only cooking appliances permitted; halogen lamps and space heaters are not permitted
  • Flammable liquids: storage of kerosene, fuel, or fuel containers not permitted
  • Self-closing door hinges: may not be removed from student room and hallway doors
  • Excessive combustible materials: excess trash / recyclables; ceilings, smoke detectors, walls or windows covered with drapes / posters; excessive holiday light strings; etc.
  • Lofts: lofts that were not provided by University Housing are not permitted
  • Furnishings in contact with room heaters
  • Smoke detector functioning and not tampered with: covered, disconnected, or removed
  • Cigarettes, candles, incense: use is not permitted in the residence halls

In addition, the following items will be checked for compliance with residence hall policies:

  • Pets: fish are the only permitted pets (fish tank must be 5 gallons or less)
  • Lounge furnishings: for public use, not individual room/suite use
  • Highway/street/construction signs: considered stolen property and will be reported to the University Police
  • Alcohol containers: may not be used for decoration even if empty.

If problems are identified, residents will be notified and will have three (3) days to correct the concern. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action and fines.

Smoke- or Fog-Producing Devices 

The residence halls are smoke-free environments; therefore, these devices are not permitted in the halls. 

Window Screens

Screens should remain closed and attached to room and lounge windows. Items should never be thrown from a residence hall window. If a screen is unfastened, it will be reinstalled at a $20 charge per window. If a window screen is missing, it will be replaced at a charge of $30. If strong wind, rain, snow, or an external projectile damages a window/screen, submit a Request for Services form at the area/hall office to report the damage. Missing or unrepairable screens will be replaced at a cost for a new screen plus installation.

For aesthetic and safety reasons, students may not hang, attach, or place anything on the outside of any residence hall or Housing structure (including window sills).