ISR Renovation and Addition Project
Starting May 2018, the Illinois Street Residence Hall (ISR) will be undergoing renovation that will transform the living, dining and programmatic space in this 53-year old building on Green Street.
The project will involve approximately 316,300 square feet in renovation and new construction that will increase dining capacity, improve building efficiency and sustainability, and showcase a vibrant residential experience to students, parents, and guests who visit campus. Booth Hansen architects and Bakergroup food service consultants have partnered with University Housing to design the multimillion dollar renovation and addition project which begins with Phase One — Dining and Programmatic Space — May 2018 through August 2020 and Phase Two — Student Rooms — May 2019 through August 2020.
Phase One's design emphasizes open spaces and natural light, and large windows provide a glimpse into activity inside the building from the street. New dining space on the first level will increase seating from 750 to 1385, and it is designed around nine micro-restaurants with a wide-range of options and cuisine offerings. Lower-level programmatic space features a promenade-style "main street" interior walkway with garage doors opening into engaging community spaces such as a tea bar, Innovations Living-Learning Committee garage, multi-purpose rooms, a fitness center, meditation room, and University Counseling Center satellite office. Phase Two renovations feature new paint and flooring in student rooms and common areas, new room furniture, electrical upgrades, climate control installation, energy-efficient windows, and individual-use bathrooms.
Living in ISR
Residents will continue to live in ISR throughout construction. Once construction begins, the north entrance on Green Street will not be available, certain floors and rooms will be taken off-line as needed, and break housing will not be offered.
During construction, the Innovation LLC will remain open and accessible. The following common areas spaces will be relocated and available for student use on the first floor and outside of Townsend and Wardall:
- Front desk relocated to just south of the current location
- Individual study space relocated to ﬁrst ﬂoor of Townsend
- Group multi-purpose space relocated to modular building outside of ISR
- Computer lab relocated to the first floor of Townsend and second floor of Wardall
- CHOMPS relocated to ﬁrst ﬂoor of Wardall
- Dining hall relocated to Illini Union
Summer Work Hours: 7 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Academic Year Work Hours: 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Over fall, winter, and spring break, work hours will begin as early as 7 a.m. Some weekends may also be required.
During these times, construction noise might be intrusive.
Dining During Construction
Limited dining will be available on-site during the project via the Housing Food truck (seasonally) and a new location for CHOMPS. Nearby dining halls include Lincoln Avenue Dining Hall (nine-minute walk) and Busey-Evans Dining Hall (six-minute walk).
Additional dining will be offered in collaboration with the Illini Union (five-minute walk):
- Located on the first floor of the Illini Union, Orange on Green will provide lunch and dinner, Monday through Friday for the busy student looking to use their meal plan for made-to-order sandwiches, customized salads, and soups. Additionally, this all-you-care-to-eat stay-and-eat or carry-out venue will provide Bi Bim Bap, noodle bowls, and comfort bowls like mashed potatoes with corn and fried chicken.
- Blue 41 will be in Illini Union Ballroom on the second floor serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Monday through Friday along with brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. This traditional, all-you-care-to-eat location will provide a sit-down atmosphere with dining hall menu items like fried chicken, flank steak, pot pies, lasagna, and frittatas.