Become a Peer Leader for 2016-2017
Job DescriptionPeer leaders play a very important role in our communities. Some of their duties include:
- Planning Orientation for the assigned Living-Learning Community
- Executing Orientation programs for 120-180 residents
- Serving as a peer mentor to a group of 20-30 residents including conducting regular check-ins with assigned students
- Promoting resident engagement in the Living-Learning Community
- Planning trips for the residents of the community
- Facilitating programs or dialogues for the residents in the community
- Encouraging students to reassign to the community and potentially serve as peer leaders
As you can see, if you become a Peer Leader you will play a major role in helping a student transition to their Living-Learning Community.
Urbana South Living-Learning Communities
There are Peer Leader positions in all four Living-Learning Communities in Urbana South. Your first step in the application process is to research all four and choose the one that you are the MOST interested in living and serving as a Peer Leader. You do not need to have ever lived in the community to serve as a Peer Leader. Below are links to learn more:
Even if you have not yet lived in a Living-Learning Community, you are encouraged to apply to this unique leadership opportunity. However, you must meet the following criteria:
- Sophomore standing or above
- Be in good judicial standing at the university
- Once you are selected to serve as a peer leader, you must choose to reassign to a room in the Living-Learning Community and continue to live there during the 2016-2017 academic year.
The Peer Leader position is a volunteer position. However, we recognize the significant contributions Peer Leaders make in their communities. To show our gratitude Peer Leaders receive a $200 gift card to the Illini Union Bookstore and Illinois swag. There is also the potential for a Letter of Recommendation for scholarships, internships, extracurricular activities, graduate school, etc. upon the successful completion of the academic year.
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Leader, you must have a completed application and participate in the interview process. Below are important dates to keep in mind:
- Applications due February 15
- Interviews take place between February 22-March 10
- Offers made on March 11-12
- Peer Leaders must accept offer on March 18
If selected, Peer Leaders MUST participate in the training process. All will take place on Fridays from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. in Oglesby Hall Main Lounge.
- April 8 LLC Introduction
- April 15 How to be a Peer Leader
- April 22 3-5pm Project Management and Administrative Tasks
- April 29 3-5pm LLC Specific Orientation Planning
- May 6 3-5pm LLC Specific Orientation Planning
Apply at http://go.illinois.edu/BeAPeerLeader.