University Housing at Illinois University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Apartment Policies


Apartment living is different than living in your own home. You may have to adjust to a smaller living space. Getting to know your neighbors as friends will make it easier for you to adjust to your new apartment and neighborhood. If a problem occurs, it will be much easier for you to talk to your neighbor about it if you know them.

Family & Graduate Housing is home to people from more than 70 different countries. Residents bring their own unique heritages, ideas, and ways of doing things. Some families may be very quiet in their apartment because they view their homes as places of tranquility. In other families, home may be the only place where people feel comfortable being lively or singing. Because different families are comfortable with different levels of noise, sometimes conflicts may occur between neighbors.

We offer the following guidelines to encourage friendly relations:

Be considerate.

Some apartments carry noise more easily than others and certain noises can be heard by neighbors. Excessive running and jumping, moving furniture, music, and televisions are examples of everyday noises that may bother neighbors. These noises are especially annoying when they become excessive, are very loud, and occur late at night when people are sleeping.

Please remember that this is a living area, not a library.

Some noise from everyday activities can be expected. We all need quiet space to study, and there are numerous libraries on campus for that purpose.

Talk with your neighbor if you have a concern.

If you are irritated by the noise your neighbor is making, bring it to his or her attention in a calm and friendly manner. Expressing anger and making noise in retaliation can only make matters worse. If you need some assistance in resolving a noise problem, please contact your Community Aide or the Family & Graduate Housing office.

If your Community Aide contacts you about a noise problem, please work with them to resolve the concern. Their primary interest is to resolve any conflicts between neighbors and make our community a pleasant place for everyone to live.


Orchard Downs

Please submit an online maintenance request for the installation and/or removal of your air conditioner. During the spring and summer months, it may take up to 10 business days to install or remove an air conditioner. The Maintenance staff must install all air conditioners so that we can ensure proper and safe installation of all units. Please have the air conditioner unit available in the apartment prior to submitting the request. Family & Graduate Housing offers one free installation and removal per apartment. The maintenance staff is not available to remove and re-install air conditioners for seasonal weather changes. Please refer to the following chart when purchasing an air conditioner.

 Apartment Location Apartment Type   Square Footage  Recommended AC Rating
 for Living Rooms
 Recommended AC Rating
 for Bedrooms
 Max AC
 Orchard Place  1-bedroom  583 sq. ft.  10,000-12,500 BTU   5,000-6,000 BTU  17 inches
 Orchard Place  2-bedroom  703 sq. ft.  12,000-15,500 BTU   5,000-6,000 BTU  17 inches
 Orchard Downs  1-bedroom  590 sq. ft.  10,000-13,000 BTU   5,000-6,000 BTU  17 inches
 Orchard Downs  2-bedroom  750 sq. ft.  13,000-16,500 BTU   5,000-6,000 BTU  17 inches
 Orchard South  2-bedroom  640 sq. ft.  12,000-15,000 BTU

 5,000-6,000 BTU

 17 inches

Goodwin-Green Apartments

Family & Graduate Housing supplies window air conditioning (AC) units for the Goodwin-Green apartments. Sleeping
rooms and efficiency apartments are provided one living room window unit. One-bedroom apartments are provided
with one living room unit and one bedroom unit. Please note that the electricity used by the AC unit(s) is part of your
power bill. Residents should contact Maintenance if they are experiencing problems with their air conditioner.

Ashton Woods

Ashton Woods apartments are furnished with central air conditioning units. Residents should contact Maintenance
if they are experiencing problems with their air conditioning system.


Bicycles must be registered with the Family & Graduate Housing office. Residents receive yearly bike stickers at
move in and lease renewal. There is no fee for bike registration, and residents are responsible for placing these
stickers on their bicycle. The following rules will apply:

  • If you sell, leave your bicycle, or give it to someone else, you must cancel your registration permit at the Family &
  • Graduate Housing office.
  • Any bicycles not properly registered will be picked up and disposed of according to University policies.
  • Bicycles must be in operating condition to be registered. Any bikes that are missing wheels, seats, chains, etc., will be removed and disposed of according to University policies.
  • Bicycles need to be locked and stored in the bike racks provided in the front of each building. Please do not leave bikes near the buildings or attached to gas meters, stair railings, or in the building stairways.
  • Goodwin-Green has indoor bike storage facilities located in the basement of the 300 and 1107 buildings.

Please note that bicycles parked near building doors make it much more difficult for personnel to enter a building
during emergencies. Bicycles not in the designated bike racks will be disposed of according to University policies.


While it is important to decorate apartments to make them feel like home, there are certain limitations you must
observe. Do not use adhesive type hangers or attach anything to doors. Do not fasten bookshelves to walls or
attach lamps or planters to the ceiling. Any type of carpet installation must be removed prior to moving out. Nails,
tacks, and adhesives may damage floors and result in damage charges. Please review the “Conditions of Premises”
on the Lease Terms and Conditions for further information.


Possession or storage of weapons is prohibited on any property owned or controlled by the University, including
Family & Graduate Housing. To review the complete University policy regarding firearms, please consult the University
“Student Rights and Responsibilities,” section I-309 titled Possession or Storage of Weapons.


Residents may plant flowers or other ornamental plants in approved locations. Residents are responsible for following all policy regulations:

  • Residents are responsible for maintaining, cleaning, and weeding their flowerbeds.
  • Flowers and plants must be within two feet of the building.
  • Residents must remove their plants prior to moving out.
  • Residents may not plant flowers that will grow more than two feet high.
  • Vines (such as ivy) may not be planted.
  • Vegetables may not be planted in flowerbed locations.

Flowers planted in locations outside the flowerbeds will likely be mowed down by the grounds staff. Vegetables
grown at apartment flowerbeds will be removed by grounds staff. Unapproved plants discovered in flowerbeds are
considered a lease violation and will be handled accordingly.

The approved apartment locations for resident planting are:

Ashton Woods apartments do not have approved planting locations.

Orchard Downs:

  • Apartments in the 1800’s: In the two story buildings, flowers may be planted only in front of the stairwells under the apartment number (unless there are bushes planted in this area). In the single story buildings, flowers may be planted in the front of the building. Flowers will be maintained, cleaned, and weeded by the residents.
  • Apartments in the 1900’s, 2002—2044 and 2001-2037: Flowers may be planted in front of the buildings.
  • Apartments 2060—2084, 2051-2087, and all of Hazelwood Court: Residents may not plant near the apartments, because there is concrete in front of the building. Residents may only have flowers planted in containers. Containers must be in good condition (not broken or chipped), and not obstruct any walkways.

Goodwin-Green Apartments:

  • 1107 Goodwin & 300 Green: Residents may plant flowers on the west or east sides of the buildings between the sidewalks leading to the 1st floor apartment entry doors.
  • 1113-1115 W. Green: Flowers can be planted only on the North side next to the buildings.


We recognize that many families enjoy grilling outdoors. Remember that your lease prohibits the use of a hibachi,
grill, or other appliance, in any balcony, stairwell, or entryway of any building. Family & Graduate Housing provides
grills for your use in every community. Grills at Orchard Downs are located by the Community Center, by the
playground at Hazelwood Court, behind the Family & Graduate Housing office, and behind apartment 2006 near
the playground. At Goodwin-Green the grill is located in the courtyard. Ashton Woods also has grills available in the
courtyards behind buildings 2217, 2303, and 2307. If you do use your own grill on the lawns, keep a reasonable
distance from the buildings so that the smoke does not disturb your neighbors. Family & Graduate Housing also
provides trash containers for coal and ash disposals that are marked specifically “charcoal.” Coals should never be
deposited in the garbage dumpsters—even if you think they are cold. Never place a grill next to a building or leave it
unattended. Please use care when barbecuing.


Guests and visitors are always welcome in your apartment; however, guests who will be staying longer than two
weeks are required to be registered at the Family & Graduate Housing office. The occupancy of the apartment
must not exceed the occupancy limit for the apartment type when guests are visiting. Visitors not included in
the extended family category are limited to a total maximum duration of 30 days per year. Overnight guests are
permitted in co-tenant apartments only if mutually agreed upon in advance of the stay.


Billing Information

Once a month, the University of Illinois emails graduate and undergraduate students, reminding them to view their
student account for recent activity and to pay any amount due by the due date. The student account is available
online for students to view and print, and includes all student account transactions, such as payments received and
charges and credits for tuition, fees, and housing. All other residents (non-students) will receive a paper statement
through the postal service. Residents may contact University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations
(USFSCO) at 217-333-2180, or by email at, if they do not receive a statement. Residents
may also receive a copy of their bill at the USFSCO Customer Service desk in Henry Administration Building, Room
100. Henry Administration Building is located at 506 Wright Street, Urbana, IL 61801.

The billing period covers the first day through the last day of each month. Rental payments are due on the 28th of
each month. Students may pay rent charges online by e-check or credit card. Non-students may pay rent charges online by e-check or wire transfer. Please visit the USFSCO website at for instructions.

To mail in a payment, please be sure to include a printed copy of the payment stub to ensure proper credit. The
resident’s name and University ID number should be written on the check as well.

Payment should be mailed at least five business days prior to the due date to allow for mail delivery and processing time. Payments may be mailed to the following location:
University of Illinois
Student A/R
PO Box 19455
Springfield, IL 62794-9455

To pay in person (check or money order only), please go to:
Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations Office
162 Henry Administration Building, Room 100
506 S. Wright St
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Lease Name Change

Lease name changes occur when a current leaseholder loses their affiliation with the University and requests
the lease be placed in the name of another family member who is also affiliated with the University. The new
leaseholder must be of legal age to sign a lease (18 or older). Please contact the Family & Graduate Housing office
for more information about the lease name change procedure.

Lease Renewal

Each spring, you will have the opportunity to renew your lease if you wish to continue to reside in Family & Graduate
Housing and if you will continue to be affiliated with the University. The Family & Graduate Housing office will send
out notifications when it is time to renew your lease. Your University account cannot have an outstanding balance
if you want to renew your lease. If you do not renew your lease during the designated lease renewal month, your
apartment will be offered to a new applicant for the next academic year.

Apartment Transfer

If you would like to move to a different apartment within University Housing you may request a transfer. A transfer
request form is available in the Family & Graduate Housing office or on our website. Once the completed form is
received, Family & Graduate Housing staff will review available apartments and determine if your request can be
granted. Transfers are not offered through the months of July and August, but resume each year in September.

Lease Replacement

Your Family & Graduate Housing lease prohibits the subletting of your apartment. Current residents may find an
eligible student, faculty or staff member to enter into a new lease and request the Leasing Coordinator assign
the new resident to their apartment address. Only people affiliated with the University and who would otherwise
be eligible to reside in Family & Graduate Housing will be assigned to an apartment. Residents who sublet their
apartment will be found in violation of their lease and subject to disciplinary action.

Lease Termination

If you will be graduating or ending your affiliation with the University, you are required to terminate your lease by
submitting two Lease Termination forms (Early Termination of Lease Request and Departmental Verification).
These two forms must be submitted to the Family & Graduate Housing office at least 45 days in advance of your
requested departure date. The two Lease Termination forms are available at the Family & Graduate Housing office
or online. Please note that other forms of communication will not serve as notice of your intent to terminate. Please
refer to the Family & Graduate Housing Lease terms and conditions for specific details.

Lock Out: Key Lending and Card Access

If you lose a key, Family & Graduate Housing can loan you a key while you look for your missing key. During business
hours, come to the Family & Graduate Housing office to get a loaner key that you will be able to keep for 24 hours.
If your key has not been found after 24 hours, your lock will be changed and you will be provided with new keys.
After hours, please contact the Complex Director at 217-649-7705 for assistance.

The fees for this service are as follows:
Replace mailbox key: $25
Replace mailbox package key: $25
Replace laundry/computer center key: $25
Replace apartment key: $25 (Lock change after business hours: $65)


University Housing will provide maintenance of the apartment premises, including, but not limited to, plumbing,
electrical and heating systems, and painting. Additionally, all common areas are cleaned and maintained. Residents
are required by the lease to fully cooperate with staff as they execute these responsibilities. Maintenance of fire
equipment, heating and cooling systems, carbon-monoxide detectors and pest control are a few examples of
routine tasks that are scheduled each year and cannot be refused by residents.

University Housing staff will provide 24- hour notice prior to entering any apartment for routine work. If you have
made a request for Maintenance work to be done in your apartment, Facilities staff will enter the apartment
to complete the requested task and leave a note indicating the work has been completed. In the event of an
emergency, University Housing reserves the right to enter your apartment without 24-hour notice. Housing staff will
provide you with a notification following the incident that the apartment had been entered. We execute this right
when any situation regarding safety places a resident or University facilities at risk.


The University of Illinois is a smoke-free Campus. Smoking is not allowed under any circumstances in any Campus buildings or on any outdoor University property. Residents shall not use candles or incense anywhere within an apartment or indoor public space. Resident shall not have or permit any open or covered fire on or in any balcony, stairwell, or entryway of any building. Examples of this type of fire could be a hibachi or barbecue grill. Cooking and/or grilling within 25 feet of a building are prohibited. Please also see “Grill Use” in this handbook.


Family & Graduate Housing provides parking facilities for residents living in apartment communities. A parking
permit is required and must be renewed each academic year to park in any of the apartment parking facilities.
Residents must display appropriate parking tags on the rearview mirror of the vehicle window. Only currently
licensed, registered, and operable automobiles may be parked in Family & Graduate Housing spaces and only in
designated parking areas.

Residents shall not drive or park any vehicle on the grass or sidewalks, and may not mark any parking space for individual use.

Orchard Downs and Ashton Woods

Convenient parking is provided at both Orchard Downs and Ashton Woods at no additional charge. There is enough
parking for one vehicle per family. If you have a second car, prior to parking in the Orchard Downs or Ashton Woods
lots you will be required to obtain approval from the Family & Graduate Housing office for a second parking permit.
You may be required to park the second vehicle in an alternative lot other than where the first vehicle is parked.


Limited parking is available for Goodwin-Green residents. Residents who park at Goodwin-Green will be billed a
parking fee. The fee will be billed by Campus Parking to your University account at the time the permit is distributed.
Permits are valid through July 31 each year. It is important the permit be returned to Campus Parking upon checkout
or you will continue to be charged for the permit.

To request a parking permit, please visit Once approved, the Family & Graduate
Housing office will send an email to the resident with information about where and when to pick up the parking permit.


All residents are allowed to have fish tanks that are 50 gallons or less. Residents who require service animals will be
permitted with approval. Residents in Orchard Downs and Goodwin-Green apartments shall not keep or harbor dogs,
cats, reptiles, or any other animal on the premises. Unapproved animals found are subject to immediate removal by
the University. Cost of removal, any damages, and cleaning will be billed to the resident’s University account.
Ashton Woods apartments will allow pets under the following guidelines:

Permission to keep a pet is granted at University’s sole discretion and is subject to the resident’s strict adherence
to all aspects of the Family & Graduate Housing Ashton Woods Pet Policy, which is a separate document. Residents
must obtain approval from Family & Graduate Housing and sign a pet agreement prior to obtaining a pet. Upon
approval, proof of current vaccinations must be provided and a copy of the vaccinations be kept on file in the Family
& Graduate Housing office.

  • Only common household pets considered to be companion animals, and fish tanks of 50 gallons or less, will be
    allowed. Farm animals, production animals, and exotics will not be allowed.
  • No more than two pets will be allowed in each apartment.
  • Pets are to be kept inside the resident’s apartment. Living space where pets are housed will be kept clean, safe,
    and free of parasites, including, but not limited to, fleas. Pets will not be left for extended periods of time in any apartment, and the resident is responsible for any disturbance or nuisance caused to neighbors by their pet.
  • All pets must be maintained in accordance with applicable state and local laws. Dogs and cats must wear current
    vaccination and identification tags at all times; vaccination tags must include current rabies tag. Pets must be
    maintained under a standard measure of restraint (leash or carrier) at all times when out of the apartment.
  • Pet feces must be disposed of properly. It is the resident’s responsibility to remove feces from University grounds,
    dispose of in a plastic bag, and place that bag in outside garbage bins. Cleanup must occur immediately. Cat
    owners must place soiled cat litter in tied plastic bags and dispose of bags in outside garbage bins.
  • If a pet attacks, bites, or behaves in an aggressive or threatening manner, the animal is subject to immediate
    removal from the community.
  • Pets must be contained when a University Housing staff member needs to enter the apartment for completing a
    work request, routine maintenance, or pest control.


Resident shall not attach an aerial, awning, or clothesline to the exterior of the building, nor affix anything to the
exterior of the premises, including plastic coverings over windows. Plastic coverings over windows will only be
acceptable during winter months and must be approved window kits distributed by Family & Graduate Housing.
Window kits must be removed each spring by the resident.

Satellite dishes may not be installed.

The use of trees, grass, balcony railings, or picnic tables for washing or drying personal belongings is prohibited.

Cut, real trees are prohibited on the premises due to the safety hazard they pose.

Residents are not permitted to install, use, or store a mechanical clothes washer or dryer, a mechanical
dishwasher, or a waterbed on the premises.

Residents shall not use candles or incense anywhere within an apartment or indoor public space. Please also
review the No Smoking/No Fire policy.


Goodwin-Green residents have access to large storage cages in the basement of each building. The cages are in
a locked area; however, the cages are not completely enclosed. You may request a storage cage online or at the
Family & Graduate Housing office. Residents are responsible for securing their belongings and the University does
not take responsibility for the resident’s property.

There is no additional storage at Orchard Downs or Ashton Woods. Balcony areas may not be used for storage (e.g.
mattresses, household furniture, clothing, clothesline, auto parts, etc.). Balcony areas may only be used for outdoor
furniture and flower containers. The only outdoor furniture allowed is folding lawn chairs and plastic resin stacking
chairs designed for outdoor use. These items are approved for public storage April 1 to October 31 only.

Stairways, elevators, lounges, or entryways must not be obstructed or used for children’s play or for storage of
personal belongings, including but not limited to bicycles, children’s toys or strollers, household furniture, volatile
substances, shoes, etc. We understand that it is custom or habit for many residents to slip their shoes off at the
door before entering their apartment; however, Fire Codes prohibit the storage of any kind of footwear in hallways or apartment entryways. These small items could easily trip someone who is trying to escape from fire or smoke, and they could get in the way of fire fighters and their equipment.

The only item allowed in the hallway or entryway of an apartment is a welcome mat with a nonskid backing placed
directly in front of the apartment entry door.

Indoor furniture that is left outside will be treated as abandoned property and disposed of immediately. Furniture
that has been left outdoors poses a serious risk of the spread of insects and rodents and therefore cannot be
stored by the University once it has been left outdoors.

For safety reasons, personal property must be stored away from the hot water heater and the furnace in each
apartment. Residents are not allowed to store any items in furnace rooms as this creates a fire hazard. Please do
not attach anything to the plumbing fixtures or store clothes on heaters, furnaces, or on balconies.

Family & Graduate Housing reserves the right to remove all obstructions and dispose of those items at its
discretion. Family & Graduate Housing is not responsible for any loss or damage to items being stored in the cages
at Goodwin-Green, or those items being improperly stored or removed from Orchard Downs or Ashton Woods.


University Housing provides garbage collection six days a week. Large garbage dumpsters are located in the
parking lots in Orchard Downs and Ashton Woods. At Goodwin-Green, garbage dumpsters are conveniently located
outside of 300 S. Goodwin and 1107 W. Green. Please place garbage inside the dumpster, not on the ground
around the dumpster.

Family & Graduate Housing and University Housing are committed to our recycling program, and we hope residents
will support it as well. University Housing does not provide glass recycling. Several drop-off sites are available
throughout the Orchard Downs and Ashton Woods communities. At Goodwin-Green, recycling bins are available
outside 300 S. Goodwin and inside the 1107 W. Green building. Please drop materials off at these sites.

Section Navigation

At home at Illinois

We're Everywhere You Are: Student Affairs at Illinois